[Dshield] Sony Sued Over CD Rootkits

Chris Wright dshield at yaps4u.net
Mon Nov 7 15:43:00 GMT 2005

Hmm,

Whilst I can understand how upset people are at the use of the underhand
techniques (ala rootkit) by the software that Sony used, I don't think such
a claim could stand up in court. After all, everyone who installed it
basically signed an EULA to authorise it. Even if it was in techy ga ga
language, and that nobody really reads them and just clicks through.
Claiming that you would hardly expect a company like Sony to install such
software so you just clicked ok and installed it anyway is hardly a defence.

They've definetly made a huge cock up with this one, but I don't think
they'll be doing again without thinking much harder next time.
As wrong as it was for them to use this method (IMHO), I would only be able
to blame myself for it appearing on my machine since I authorised it (in
effect).  Yeah I would be pissed at them, but not much I could do about it
apart from making sure I read the EULA's in the future.

Regards

Chris