[Dshield] Interesting Zombie Data Graphs

MaXX bs139412 at skynet.be
Wed Nov 9 15:01:01 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 14:58, Faraone, Joseph A. wrote:
> To follow up on Pete's idea.  The $300 bill might be Draconian, but try
> this on for size...
> I'd proposed an "Internet Driver's License" a while back in several
> forums I teach/speak/rant to.  This driver's license nothing that will
> get you thru security at an airport, but it's regulated by the ISP.
[...skipping details...]
> Once successful, the customer's IP/MAC address is allowed to roam
> freely...
I like the idea, but I see a problem. I don't think people will take this on
the good side, saying "Hey! Do you think I'm stupid or something?" and
leaving the shop for a less secured/responsable ISP.

> If there's indications of infection or zombie behavior, the customer's
> IP goes into quarantine until cleaned.
Agreed! I wonder why this is not already the case and why they need to have a
lot of abuse reports to take action (if any).

> Is this a simple concept?  Yep.  Polyanna? Probably.  It's not so "easy"
> for the Bellsouths/Comcasts of the world to implement simply because it
> costs money.
They probably prefer to invest in beefier hardware to handle the mess...

Have a nice day,
--
MaXX