[Dshield] Interesting Zombie Data Graphs

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 16:27:58 GMT 2005

--- MaXX <bs139412 at skynet.be> wrote:
> They probably prefer to invest in beefier hardware
> to handle the mess...
>
> Have a nice day,
> --
> MaXX

Not so beefy.  The issue is that ISPs are not losing
money because the perception TO THE CUSTOMERS is that
it's not the access provider's responsibility.  Now,
when a customer from Cox gets hacked by a customer
from Comcast, the Cox guy definately sees Comcast as
having at least some responsibility.  But nobody is
going to switch ISPs because they got botnetted.

Ultimately it's the user's responsibility, but then
again the service provider is in a great position to
do something about the problem, and since they are
also in a position to track traffic and find botnets,
some of the responsibility rests with them as well.

It's like gun ownership in a way...it's the owner's
fault if the weapon is misused and someone gets
killed.  But, Constitutional rights notwithstanding,
there are some people who just shouldn't have a gun,
and society knows this (e.g. a madman).  At some point
you would lay blame on a retailer if he sold a gun to
someone who shouldn't have one.  Well, I think that in
the digital world, that person is the guy who just
can't be arsed to install ZoneAlarm.  Not a perfect
metaphor, but I think it gets my meaning across...

Regards,

Pete