[Dshield] Interesting Zombie Data Graphs

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 00:48:30 GMT 2005

--- Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> Unfortunately, by the time the ISP's figure out it's
> worth doing something
> for the Linux users, we'll have people running the
> JoeSixPackIX distro, and
> have the exact same problems all over again.

Vladis,

This is a valid point.
To me, the security of linux vs. windows has not
really been proven.  It would require hard data on the
rate of compromise broken down by Linux vs. Windows.
The statistical test for this sort of thing is fairly
simple--IF we had the data, we could see if Linux
users get hacked less frequently because they have
less of the "market share" or if it's because they're
using Linux.  So far as I know this has not been
performed.  I wish a big ISP would publish its user
stats just for this purpose :)