[Dshield] Interesting Zombie Data Graphs

David Cary Hart DShield at TQMcube.com
Fri Nov 11 15:12:48 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 09:37 -0500, Tom wrote:

Hmmm, Apple server. Never saw one before.

> As for "they're" the only horse in town" I would have to say that
> attitude may be the reason that they're the only horse in town. In my
> area, the service provided by RoadRunner (cable) and BellSouth (DSL &
> ISDN) was very bad and the consumer base called out of alternatives
> so a small local ISP with dialup (and doing early flat rate long
> distance over IP and colo to make ends meet) rolled out wireless
> broadband using Motorola Canopy and they and we have never looked
> back. Its a great system and I get to do business with local folks I
> know and local folks manage their networks better than these big guys
> IMHO.
>
> Maybe if you talk around town you can get some local involvement and
> alternatives as well...

It's all about economic logic. When the costs of fixing this are less
than lost revenues then Comcast will become interested. They may not
know who is doing what to whom on their network but I'll guarantee that
they have excruciatingly precise financial models. An organized local
effort is the only way to get more competition.

More and more municipality-owned WISPs and broadband providers are
emerging to fill the void.

--
Our DNSRBL - Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.htm
              RBLDNSD HowTo: http://www.TQMcube.com/rbldnsd.htm