[Dshield] Interesting Zombie Data Graphs

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Fri Nov 11 17:02:35 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 05:35 -0800, Mark wrote:

> I was at CyberCrimes 2002. The presentation by the US
> Secret Service agent identified child pornography as
> their "zero tolerance" crime. You can buy illegal
> drugs online and they'll stop in for a coffee and chat
> about it. You cooperate and you're likely not to be
> charged. Kiddie stuff will result in broken down doors
> and rapid seizure of all computing assets and time in
> jail.

I think a lot of folks do not realize just how serious this situation is
or how heavily it is enforced. In the forensic section of my SANS
perimeter class I talk about when you may or may not want to choose to
involve law enforcement in a compromise. Kiddie porn is the except where
your first step should *always* be to involve law enforcement. The way
the laws are written, just accessing a kiddie porn file that someone
else parked on your system puts you on the wrong end of the law. Even
the act of deleting the file can get you in trouble.

I've personally worked on these cases in the past. Please trust me when
I say the tolerance is even less than zero (and rightfully so).

HTH,
Chris