[Dshield] FYI - OS/2 Wrap....

Hernandez, Moses MHernandez3 at mercymiami.org
Mon Nov 14 21:14:53 GMT 2005

Oh here go the flame wars with OS/2 Warp. Well I hope not to start one
because I remember the good ol'e days of running OS/2 2.1 when the only
competition was Windows 3.1 and Quarterdecks Deskview/X Application for
DOS.

Well needless to say OS/2 was ahead of its time with its "HPFS" and
"advanced" multitasking support. However I do want to remind everyone
that OS/2 is what NT for the most part was based on after MS acquired
its developers. OS/2 Subsystem and "POSIX" components are still found in
NT based systems (os2ss and POSIX services can be installed in 2003
server). And yes OS2 Services actually makes for Security
Vulnerabilities. Additionally you should note that the LANMAN protocols
developed in the 80's is a weaker component of windows and should be
considered invalid as a default mechanism for authorization. My
understanding from Microsoft based Seminars from their "security" team
is that the more available NTLMv2 and refusal of LM and NTLM should be
set on all machines in an environment that supports it because of how
weak LM is.

Just a few .02 cents