[Dshield] Zombie Prevention : May I Sample Some Opinion?

Chris Ramsden chris at ramsden.org.uk
Tue Nov 15 19:55:35 GMT 2005

David Cary Hart wrote:

>Over the past week or so, I have received an increasing number of
>contacts from "average" users regarding zombie prevention. Time for some
>content on our site.
>
>Some things like up-to-date patching, firewall and a virus scanner with
>CURRENT definitions seem obvious. I'd like to sample some opinion on the
>following and solicit any other ideas that you may have:
>
>        Even a single home computer might benefit from a reasonably
>        priced home router which enables you to create a simple hardware
>        firewall.

Absolutely, but you can't stop the average user from blindly following
any link he sees, or downloading that "cool" screensaver.

>        Get rid of Internet Explorer. Alternatives such as Firefox or
>        Mozilla are safer.

Sadly, some sites demand IE. You may complain, but if you need to use
that site /today/, you're stuck with IE.

>        Use strong passwords; at least eight characters including a
>        combination of letters and numbers.

Hopefully just common sense . . . .

>        Do NOT experiment with running servers of any kind on Windows
>        workstations.

Why on earth not? I've run an ftp server on a w2k box for the past year.
No problems at all.

>What's the thinking du jour on p2p, IM, IRC and BitTorrent? Help me out
>here, folks, without creating a thesis, what are some of the basics that
>I am overlooking?

BitTorrent is a perfectly valid way to download really useful things,
like Linux distros. However, if a user insists on using BT or any p2p
system to download copyrighted (aka stolen) material, then you can argue
he deserves all he gets.