[Dshield] OS Comparisions

Roger A. Grimes roger at banneretcs.com
Wed Nov 16 06:58:40 GMT 2005

I can't comment of the Linux stuff, but your analysis seems fair. On the
Windows side, during the install of the out of the box install of
Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP1 (the current versions),
both firewalls and all patches are applied as a part of installing the
OS. Both OS's ask if it can download and install all new patches and
enable Automatic Updates to download the same. If the user chooses the
defaults, all patches are installed by default, so calling this the
out-of-the-box install configuration would be accurate. Further, W2K3
SP1 won't allow, by default, any connections other than Windows Update,
until all the patches are installed. So calling a fully patched Windows
system an out-of-the-box install is fair because if anyone, including a
home user, installs the product by accepting all defaults, all patches
are installed. Interestingly, it also means that XP will probably be
installed with user accounts with blank passwords, although they cannot
be accessed over the Internet or network.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), TICSA, CEH, CHFI
*email: roger_grimes at infoworld.com or roger at banneretcs.com
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281
****