[Dshield] OS Comparisions

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 17:29:55 GMT 2005

Mrcorp <mrcorp at yahoo.com> wrote: I did do a study on default installs of OS out of the bocx and after patching.

http://mrcorp.infosecwriters.com/os_scan/os2003/OS_Scan_2003.htm

Its older, but if there were interest, I could do it again.

Thank you,

Mrcorp
We also need data on attacks seen in the wild and the "market share" of the various operating systems out there.

 Say Redhat makes up 5% of all installs worldwide.  Then you would expect 5% of all attacks worldwide to target Redhat, plus or minus a certain range.  If you find that this is not the case, then you start searching for reasons why: (example: "Is it harder to crack a default install?")

 The end goal is to ask and answer the questions, If you switch operating systems, will it affect your security?  Why?

 These investigations are great support, but I think we really need those other data to perform the analysis.

 Regards,
 Pete