[Dshield] Sony In Violation Of LGPL?

TRushing@hollandco.com TRushing at hollandco.com
Thu Nov 17 14:16:11 GMT 2005

Craig Webster wrote on 11/17/2005 05:55:11 AM:
> My opinion (IANAL) is that it would depend on if Sony were aware or not.
> I've not read the article (sorry) but if F4I brought the GPL stuff to
> Sony's attention and Sony said "Go ahead anyway" then Sony are at fault
> and F4I while not being completely blameless aren't directly
> responsible.
>
> On the other hand, if Sony knew nothing about it then F4I are at fault.

I'm sure this is one where the laws will vary from country to country.  In
the US, technically, Sony as well as First4Internet would be at fault if
there is a copyright violation because Sony has distributed it.  More
importantly, if the big corporation is not held accountable for their
violation, then all any big corp needs to do when it wants to steal code
is find a small arms length entity and launder all their stealing through
it.  If they get caught, the small entity goes under and the big corp
moves on to the next small code shop.

In any case, it is definitely going to look bad for Sony to have used
copyright violations (even if unknowing) to try to protect copyright.

To bring this back to a security issue, it does stress the importance of
vetting code and the firms/employees writing them.  If the agreement
between Sony and First4 includes indemnification like is in most EULA's,
does that mean that Sony can't sue First4 for providing stolen goods.

Tim Rushing