[Dshield] Zombie Prevention : May I Sample Some Opinion?

Rick.Wanner@sasktel.sk.ca Rick.Wanner at sasktel.sk.ca
Thu Nov 17 19:11:15 GMT 2005

I wrote a more general document on securing home computers which covers my
opinions on what is required for home security. It does not go to the
level of depth you are suggesting, but it is a start.  I should probably
update it soon, but it is still relevant.

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome!

http://www.whitehats.ca/main/members/Cerberus/cerberus_home_security/protecting_home_computer.html

Rick

Rick Wanner, B.Sc.,  I.S.P.
GSEC, GCFW, GCIH, GHTQ, GREM
Technical Analyst, Corporate Security
Sasktel
Tel: 306-777-4832  Cell: 306-533-1812
Email: Rick.Wanner at sasktel.sk.ca
Text Messaging: 3065331812 at pcs.sasktelmobility.com

Rob <packethunter at comcast.net>
Sent by: list-bounces at lists.dshield.org
11/17/2005 12:50 PM
Please respond to
General DShield Discussion List <list at lists.dshield.org>

General DShield Discussion List <list at lists.dshield.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dshield] Zombie Prevention : May I Sample Some Opinion?

David Cary Hart wrote:
> Over the past week or so, I have received an increasing number of
> contacts from "average" users regarding zombie prevention. Time for some
> content on our site.
>
> Some things like up-to-date patching, firewall and a virus scanner with
> CURRENT definitions seem obvious. I'd like to sample some opinion on the
> following and solicit any other ideas that you may have:
>
>         Even a single home computer might benefit from a reasonably
>         priced home router which enables you to create a simple hardware
>         firewall.
>
>         Get rid of Internet Explorer. Alternatives such as Firefox or
>         Mozilla are safer.
>
>         Use strong passwords; at least eight characters including a
>         combination of letters and numbers.
>
>         Do NOT experiment with running servers of any kind on Windows
>         workstations.
>
> What's the thinking du jour on p2p, IM, IRC and BitTorrent? Help me out
> here, folks, without creating a thesis, what are some of the basics that
> I am overlooking?

You can always disable Windows file & print sharing on systems that
don't require them.

Rob

send all posts to list at lists.dshield.org