[Dshield] Newbie Reading Material Request

McKinlay, Ken Ken.McKinlay at curtisswright.com
Fri Nov 18 18:54:27 GMT 2005

Sean,

Instead of websites, take a look at the following books. They provide
the depth and insights in how things work that many websites just don't
or can't provide. These books are not bleeding edge but they cover the
basics of how and why things work (or don't work). I've found them to be
an invaluable resource when I was just starting out in computer
security.

Firewalls and Internet Security (Cheswick, Bellovin and Rubin)
TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1 (Stevens)
Practical Unix and Internet Security (Garfinkel, Spafford and Schwartz)

Also, look at shelling out some big bucks and attend a SANS conference.
The "Security Essentials" course is a good starting point and
"Intrustion Detection In-Depth" teachs you about the ins and outs of
packets. The instructors are some of the leading professionals in the
industry and are willing to share their hard earned knowledge.

Finally, do what you just did here. Ask intelligent questions when,
after researching for the answer, there is concept that you still don't
understand and you still need help.

Ken McKinlay
(GCIA, CISSP)