[Dshield] my dilemma

Roger A. Grimes roger at banneretcs.com
Thu Nov 24 14:22:39 GMT 2005

You are not invited "in" simply because you have credentials. In most states and countries doing so would be against the law. Here are some quick general guidelines to follow in "gray areas" (although your dilemma isn't one of those):

Never logon to or modify anyone else's system, traffic, or network without their explicit permission

Do not eavesdrop on traffic that you do not have permission to listen to

Never do further harm to either the good guys or the bad guys

These three rule guides off the top of my head should keep you legal and ethical, although I'm sure readers can think of plenty of others.

[If we come up with enough interesting rules I'll print them in my InfoWorld column.]

Now, follow your heart about anything else that doesn't violate the rules above.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), TICSA, CEH, CHFI
*email: roger_grimes at infoworld.com or roger at banneretcs.com
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281