[Dshield] my dilemma

Tom dshield at oitc.com
Fri Nov 25 02:49:52 GMT 2005

P.,

You know if it was chid porn the authorities
would be all over it but, in general, they seem
to be lack luster about dealing with issues like
this.

I would say if you can't get the authorities to
notice then use the data you have to you and your
employers and your clients advantage.  Since the
data is available via normal http, just
periodically access it and use it to block the
botnet from you and your users.  Trying to get
the feds to do something about this especially in
Russia is a beau geste but reality is that other
than kiddie porn and Al Qaeda the priorities from
the Whitehouse are near zero for this. (I think
they don't believe or understand cyber threats)

However, please contact me offlist the next time
you or anyone else finds such a treasure trove of
data about coopted IPs as I would like to add
that information to my firewall and monitoring
rules for preemptive protection.

Tom

At 11:55 AM -0500 11/24/05, Ed Truitt wrote:
>Uh, do the Russians still have the KGB around to
>contact?  I agree, get thee to the authorities
>(US, Russian, Interpol) ASAP.
>
>-EdTr.

Tom Shaw - Chief Engineer, OITC
<tshaw at oitc.com>, http://www.oitc.com/
US Phone Numbers: 321-984-3714,
321-729-6258(fax), 321-258-2475(cell/voice
mail,pager)
Text Paging: http://www.oitc.com/Pager/sendmessage.html
http://www.oitc.com/Antarctica/

PGP Public Keys available at:
<A HREF="ldap://keyserver.pgp.com/">PGP's Key Server</A>
<A HREF="http://www.oitc.com/OITC/PGPKeys.html">OITC's Public Key List</A>
14A7 A308 266A 3646 FBA8  9A86 E139 F108 B1BE 37BD