[Dshield] What price freedom?

Ray Palmer palmer at telus.net
Sat Nov 26 14:19:39 GMT 2005

We are reluctant to give up our freedom to send  anonymous messages under
obscure aliases.  Maybe it is time to have all transmitted data stamped by
the CPU and a nominal fee for email service.  Scary to find myself on this
side of the fence!  What price should we pay to maintain our 13 root servers
and indeed the integrity of the whole DNS web service from pharming attacks.
When I use the post office, I pay with the stamp, include my return name and
address and inadvertently label the envelope with my DNA  and my
fingerprints.  Why should the local ISP be saddled with protecting my
identity if I should choose to preach from my soapbox, annoy folks with spam
or perpetrate crime?