[Dshield] What price freedom?

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Nov 27 00:21:26 GMT 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 06:19:39 PST, Ray Palmer said:
> We are reluctant to give up our freedom to send  anonymous messages under
> obscure aliases.  Maybe it is time to have all transmitted data stamped by
> the CPU and a nominal fee for email service.

How much would you have paid to hit "send" on that message?  No, seriously...

Who pays for the "nominal fee" for *all* the copies of your message that left
the dshield mail server? (This in fact is one of the big problems with "sender
pays" schemes - although you can extrapolate from postal mail to one-to-one
e-mail, most people forget that there are mailing lists that have as many as
tens or hundreds of thousands of recipients.  Let's say you decide that the
"average" e-mail user sends 100 pieces of mail a month, and we want to make
it total to a dime.  So we'll charge US$0.001 per mail.

At that point, our Listserv system just racked up a monthly bill of some
$15,000.  That's what happens when you have 5,000 lists, and they generate
a half million deliveries a day.

(And before you say it - no, whitelisting such machines isn't the answer. Think
about it for a while.. ;)

Oh, and we deliver worldwide, so we'll have to do settlements and payments in
yen and rubles and rupees and who knows what else.  The overhead of having to
send the Ethiopian equivalent of US$0.001 to an Ethippain ISP for that one
posting that went there is going to be nuts...  (Hint - why do places get
pissed at you when you use a credit card to pay for something that's 49 cents? ;)