[Dshield] Cogent / Level 3

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Wed Oct 5 18:17:05 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Waddell" <swaddell at espgroup.net>
To: "General DShield Discussion List" <list at lists.dshield.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 11:28 AM
Subject: [Dshield] Cogent / Level 3

> Not sure if this is appropriate for this list, but wanted to see if
> anyone has any other information.  This morning Level 3 de-peered with
> Cogent (according to Cogent Tech Support).  There does not seem to be
> any reaons for this according to Cogent.  This obviously has impact only
> on those who use either ISP and trying to get to services on the other
> ISP.  Does anyone have insight as to whether Cogent may have more issues
> then they are saying (ie going out of business?)
>
> Thanks.
> Sean

I wonder if this is the same bilateral peer that I provisioned when I was
still with the former PSINet, prior to the Cogent buyout.  The only thing
that I can find is dated Sept 14, 2005:

"Unoffical sources say that Level 3 sent a depeering notice to Cogent a
month ago, for a disconnection on either the 15th or the 16th of
September. Based on the fact that Cogent is offering 0 commit ports to any
Level 3 customers they can find (at 50% of their L3 pricing), it looks
like they're preparing to shift as much traffic off as possible, and put
the rest on transit."

Full conversation at:
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2005-09/msg00560.html

All that I can say in comparison, is that when I worked with PSINet, PSINet
depeered with C&W net because even though we put in the PSINet side of the
bilateral peer in Chicago, C&W didn't put their circuit in place and were
routing traffic over the circuit we installed. So, after waiting 6 months
(approx) for them to get their end active and failing to do so, PSINet
pulled the plug.

--

Micheal Patterson
Senior Communications Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.