[Dshield] Cogent / Level 3

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Fri Oct 7 20:05:41 GMT 2005

Brian Dessent wrote:

>The main factor at issue is the notion of peering.  When two autonomous
>systems peer, they agree to trade traffic for free.  This is often
>called settlement free interconnect because neither party is obligated
>to continue the relationship -- it is meant to be a mutually beneficial
>agreement that saves both sides money.  Note that the only traffic
>traded here is that which is sourced in one peer's AS (or that peer's
>downstream) and destined for the other AS (or that peer's downstream.)
>In other words the peers only advertise their own routes.

[snip]

Brian, I just want to thank you for a very clearly written explanation
of what goes on at that level of the net. Many of us consumers
understand the nuts and bolts, but not the economies and politics that
make the Internet work (nor not, as the case may be). I just wanted you
to know this was appreciated.

--
Alan Frayer
Technology Consultant