[Dshield] Cogent / Level 3

John B. Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Fri Oct 7 23:01:14 GMT 2005

Brian,

I will second Alan's compliment on the clarity of the explanation.

Another way to clarify the distinction between  "transit"  and peering
is to think of transit  as "paid peering" where the smaller isp has to
pay to have the larger ISP  carry the transit traffic across the larger
ISP's network  that would be otherwise be free if the two ISP's agreed
to peer with one another.

Alternatively, peering could instead be called "settlement free transit"
and "transit" referred to as  "settlement paid transit" but the industry
terminology is already long fixed on the terms "peering", and "transit"..

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International
GSEC Gold,GCWN Gold,GGSC-0100,NSA-IAM