[Dshield] VMware

Semper Securus sempersecurus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 19:18:56 GMT 2005

I also use VMWare 5 WS quite a bit and have had no issues with any
guest to host contamination. A couple of items for consideration:

* Make sure your host OS is fully patched and hardened.

* Don't enable file (or print) sharing between your guest and host.
Don't use the VMWare "shared folder" for your sacrificial guest.

* Depending on how (or if) you have your VM machine connected to other
VM machines, you may wish to play around with "Custom mode" networking
for the guest to allow complete isolation of networking from the host.

* Use the "snapshot" feature prior to testing anything new.

Andre'

SemperSecurus