[Dshield] Working with the FBI: was RE: IRC BOT opportunity

Faber, Sidney sfaber at federatedinv.com
Thu Oct 13 11:46:21 GMT 2005

It's always a great idea to work with the FBI, to establish a
relationship with Law Enforcement before you really need them.  This is
a great excuse to start talking to them.  Plus, you want to make sure
they get your IP address(es) and any other info listed as a "good guy"
in case you show up in any logs.

But I'm not sure they'll actually be able to do much for you.  I've been
working with our local FBI office in Pittsburgh for over 5 years now, we
have a very active cybercrime squad.  They're a great resource to be
able to call them anytime I have a question.  But it seems to be a much
different issue to actually open up a case and have them actively work
it.

Like everyone in cybersecurity, they're extremely busy, and their
technical staff is stretched.  With the exception of child porn, they
generally seem to triage cases based on damages:  if you've lost money
or trade secrets, you'll get attention.  They work a case with the
intent to prosecute.  But if it's just a botnet, and there's no explicit
loss, and you don't intend to bring anyone to court, why should they
spend time on it?  Sure it's wrong, and it's unethical, but so are a lot
of other things...

On the other hand, it seems like there have been some recent
improvements based on DHS's information sharing initiatives.  I recently
asked if they were really interested when I find malicious web sites
(ones that exist only to exploit PCs, take control of them, and drop
junk on them).  And they are.  I think they enter the information into
some type of national "tipline" cybercrime database, but I'm not too
sure what it's used for.

Also, keep in mind that in a case like this, you can't expect to call
the FBI and have them tell you "OK, go ahead and do XYZ and let me know
what you find out."  If law enforcement tells you how to react or what
information to provide, then you end up becoming an agent of law
enforcement (no longer just a system administrator), and you work under
a completely different set of rules for gathering and providing
evidence.  Which means that even if you're providing evidence for an
active case, it seems like a black hole to you, and you don't get
anything back out.