[Dshield] Bizarre Activity Spurt...

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Sat Oct 15 03:39:37 GMT 2005

Robert Nelson wrote:

> It's too bad that enough people fall for this scam to keep these folks in
> business.
>
> My Ex got a computer from her brother... He decided to start his own
> business building them. Well, he installed XP Pro, but didn't bother to run
> Windows Update. So no firewall, no patches... My Ex is not a computer
> expert, and me efforts to enlighten her don't seem to sink in. [Must be why
> she's my Ex! ;)] And when I went to visit, I noticed some of this crud pop
> up on her computer. Thus I had my work cut out for me...
>
> Also too bad anyone can sell computers... But I think we had that discussion
> before somewhere, didn't we?

If you bought a new car from a dealer and it was low on oil, the air
filter needed changing, and the windows (no pun intended) leaked water
when it rained, you can bet the buyer would take it back and demand
satisfaction.  Yet you buy a computer in the equivalent state of
disarray, and nobody seems to care.

The sad part is that fixing the computer (by installing service packs,
disabling services, enabling the firewall, etc.) is trivial compared to
fixing the defects in a car.  Any competent shop should have a master
image  that they use to ghost new machines, so all it takes is getting
it right once.

But I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here...

Brian