[Dshield] Bizarre Activity Spurt...

Bo Nordgren bo at nordgren.net
Sat Oct 15 08:46:41 GMT 2005

> If you bought a new car from a dealer and it was low on oil, the air
> filter needed changing, and the windows (no pun intended) leaked water
> when it rained, you can bet the buyer would take it back and demand
> satisfaction.  Yet you buy a computer in the equivalent state of
> disarray, and nobody seems to care.

That is true but we are probably getting more trouble from the ones that buy
a car that has been fully serviced and then think that it will never need
work again. Most car owners come back to the garage for a service, tune-up
and occational fixes when they issue a general recall on some part that
broke.
I have not seen so many people driving theie car untill it is a total loss
but they are out there. Compuiters on the other hand, most of the common
people have a hard time understanding that they need to keep the computer
fixed and up to date.

> The sad part is that fixing the computer (by installing service packs,
> disabling services, enabling the firewall, etc.) is trivial compared to
> fixing the defects in a car.  Any competent shop should have a master
> image  that they use to ghost new machines, so all it takes is getting
> it right once.

I used to work in one back in 1995 and the old truth is that you sell your
time and many little shops don't have the time unless they work a lot after
hours on it. I could install Windows 95 with one hand tied behind my back an
minimal ammount of time lost on the user dialogue but making a standard
installfile was not on the agenda since I would have had to figure out how
to make on and that would cut into my evening time.

Another thing is that the users are spoiled when it comes to computers. They
expect everything to be for free (as in free beer) but with a car they know
it will cost and mostly pay without to much complaints.

> But I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here...

Amen! :)

I think that the problem keeping people safe and happy is that the updating
haven't found it's mature form yet and therefore isn't easy for everyone to
understand.
This last week (at least in europe) microsoft update notices have found
their way into the absolute mainstream media and I even overheard two people
at the pub yesterday talking about this automatic update as this amazing
thing they just found. The updates from this week weren't that bad compared
to some we have had before but I think we are seeing a realization that
everyone needs to keep safe, like when radio warns of traficjams.

// Bo Nordgren