[Dshield] Bizarre Activity Spurt...

Robert Nelson nelsrob at mts.net
Sat Oct 15 17:29:30 GMT 2005

The key word you used there is "competent." Her brother probably doesn't
even know you can use a master to ghost machines. I highly doubt he knows
much of anything about security, either. The only extra "security" item he
installed was a pop-up blocker from one of those suspect places... I don't
think he knows how to get it right once.

Perhaps we need a certification program for those who build, install and
sell computers, so id10ts can't be allowed to get into the business. You
don't pass the test, you can't get a business licence and sell PCs. That
would require state/provincial legislation, and getting a standard in place
for that would be tricky to say the least.

Robert

<snip>
The sad part is that fixing the computer (by installing service packs,
disabling services, enabling the firewall, etc.) is trivial compared to
fixing the defects in a car.  Any competent shop should have a master image
that they use to ghost new machines, so all it takes is getting it right
once.

But I suspect I'm preaching to the choir here...

Brian
</snip