[Dshield] OT BPL

Ed Truitt ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Thu Oct 20 21:21:33 GMT 2005

BPL is as secure as the underlying protocol, with the addition that it is a VERY broadband signal, being transmitted over an unshielded (in the RF sense) wire - so if you have the right equipment, I presume you could 'sniff' the packets.

As to 'if a HAM can jam BPL by getting on the right freq', the issue to ALL licensed services in the frequency ranges used by BPL is that THEY, not BPL, are the licensed users of the frequencies.  BPL operates under Part 15 of the FCC rules, the same as garage door openers, cordless (not cell) phones, microwave ovens, and other such devices.  ANY interference is the rwespinsibility of the Part 15 device mfgr/user to correct.

-EdTr. (Also Amateur Radio Station KD5JC)