[Dshield] Windows Update?

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Wed Apr 5 20:22:02 GMT 2006

Microsoft (and anyone else) doesn't put out much notification for Office
patches.  In fact, Office does not even follow the standard 2nd Tuesday
rule, nor does the MSRC even catalog most of their patches.

The two reasons I have heard for this is first, most Office patches are
not security related (i.e. bug fixes, feature improvements, and Junk
Mail filtering rule updates).  And 2nd, it is hard to exploit most
Office apps (minus Outlook of course), so the need to keep Office
up-to-date is not as critical as your desktop/server OSes and their
respective services.

Regards,
Adam Stasiniewicz
MSCE: Messaging & Security 2003