[Dshield] yet another tethereal question

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 14:51:04 GMT 2006

All,

 I have configured tethereal to give me certain fields in its output.  Is there any way to have it give me an empty field if a value is missing?

 This is an issue because if I want to store the output of tethereal in a delimited format or import it into a database, the fields need to line up.  But if, say, field 4 is the Source IP and field 5 is the Source MAC Address, and the Source IP is missing, then tethereal will print the contents of Field 5 into Field 4.  This is really annoying behavior and I'm trying to think of a solution that does not involve perl and some complicated regexes.

 Thanks!

 Regards,
 Pete