[Dshield] mailing list reorg

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Tue Apr 25 16:18:29 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 09:42 -0400, Johannes B. Ullrich wrote:
> I am thinking about reorganizing our mailing list. Right now, we only
> got one ("dshield"). I am thinking about the following lists:

Bad idea, you spread yourself too thin.

> - - DShield: Discuss issues affecting DShield (e.g. "how to submit
> reports").
> - - Logs: Discuss logs (a bit like what "intrusions" was about)

Didn't we try something similar with "Current Event" which didn't go
anywhere? (Is that list sill active btw?)

> - - Malware (this will be a public list in addition to a closed list we
> have now)

There are open lists for malware already.

> - - Compliance (given that it looks we got a good response on that topic)
> - - Best Practices ("how do I secure my mail server?")

I know of one other compliance list which eventually dies because the
topic just wasn't sexy enough.

In my opinion, stick with this list. The volume here isn't high enough
to warrant a split.

Cheers,
Frank

against your ports.