[Dshield] mailing list reorg

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Wed Apr 26 03:07:22 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 23:42, Johannes B. Ullrich wrote:
> I am thinking about reorganizing our mailing list. Right now, we only
> got one ("dshield"). I am thinking about the following lists:
>
> - DShield: Discuss issues affecting DShield (e.g. "how to submit
> reports").
> - Logs: Discuss logs (a bit like what "intrusions" was about)
> - Malware (this will be a public list in addition to a closed list we
> have now)
> - Compliance (given that it looks we got a good response on that topic)
> - Best Practices ("how do I secure my mail server?")

Personally think this is cutting things up too fine. If you're going to split
up the list, then I suggest at most 2 lists:
 Dshield (issues with dshield, logs, revelations from Dshield info, etc)
 Security (Malware, Compliance, Best Practices, Hacking, Intrusion, BotNets,
etc)

This way at least, you should have a fair bit of traffic, and there is minimal
crossover. If some subset of any of these lists becomes a major generator of
email traffic, then consider splitting it into a separate list. Note that
traffic on a particular subject probably would only warrant being split into
it's own list if it keeps up a decent traffic flow for over 3 months as this
would indicate that the subject isn't doing to die down anytime soon.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net