[Dshield] mailing list reorg

Sean Smith ssmith at kwqc.com
Fri Apr 28 14:42:25 GMT 2006

I'm a member of a number of different forums and mailing lists. ALL of
these places have suggested similar things in the past. Some have
rejected it, but some have accepted the idea and attempted to integrate
categories into their environments.

The one thing that they all have in common is the goal that they were
shooting for never really came into fruition for one reason or another.
People being habitual, forgetting about the existence of categories,
worrying that their post would not be seen due to group inactivity
(admittedly different for a mailing list)... All of these reasons lent
to the idea failing.

Someone suggested a forum. I think the power of a forum combined with
the existing mailing list may be the best suggestion to date.

With a forum, you have a much more convenient, searchable archive of
data, as well as real-time posting without the wait for moderation
acceptance or wondering if the mail server is having issues. The mailing
list could continue to serve, but in the role of elevated security issue
communication where time would be of the essence, and where it would not
be prudent to wait for someone to pop in to the forum for the latest
information.

S Smith

send all posts to list at lists.dshield.org