[Dshield] mailing list reorg

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Fri Apr 28 19:33:49 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 09:42 -0500, Sean Smith wrote:
> The one thing that they all have in common is the goal that they were
> shooting for never really came into fruition for one reason or another.
> People being habitual, forgetting about the existence of categories,
> worrying that their post would not be seen due to group inactivity
> (admittedly different for a mailing list)... All of these reasons lent
> to the idea failing.

This partly due to the fact that certain mail lists attract and retain a
certain user *community*. Compare membership of Daily Dave with Dshield
for example. While some folks are subscribed to both lists, the majority
of folks favor one list. Similar with Security Focus' Phishing list and
Mal-Aware's Phishing list.

If you attempt to split a list, or generate new categories, the settled
community usually remains in the "main" list. The new lists just don't
take off.

In addition, creating more lists for topics that already exist (exactly
because a certain community doesn't have such topic oriented list) leads
not just to two groups talking in two lists about the same topic, but
also cross-posting which can create additional confusion.

So, in my opinion, when planning mail lists, more consideration should
be given to the community aspects of the membership than the topics.

Cheers,
Frank

against your ports.