[Dshield] Tapes - Physical destruction methods?

Al Reust areust at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 00:58:41 GMT 2006

Linda

You said that you have a shredder capable of CD's... Crack the case with a
hammer, grab the end and feed the end into the shredder... Have a can of WD
40 handy to spray into the teeth on occasion... The WD 40 keeps things from
overheating and cleen's its teeth... IT will also help to break down the
oxide on the tape making it a goo... So if you lock the shredder in the Fwd
Mode you should be able to feed a couple of tapes at a time.

Just let the spools sit in a small box on the floor... till they unwind...

Obviously try one tape first to see what might go wrong...

I have seen where a large cutting board. Use a hacksaw to cut the tape in
half on the spool and then lay out the pieces flat and go to cutting...

A good handy disruptive magnetic field is a Large Vacuum cleaner... With
the Shop Vac Running bring the tape as close to the motor as you can rotate
the tape in all directions and with it still close shut off the motor...

In the late 60's I was servicing TV's and one lady that about once a week
screwed up the color on the Color TV... One afternoon I asked her what she
does during the day... She had the TV on and then would vacuum the living
room, when she shut the Vacuum OFF by the TV the Color went out of
whack..  I started the vacuum cleaner and moved it next to the TV while
on... She watch the pretty colors of the rainbow and then when I shut the
vacuum off the color was out of whack... That was education to change her
habits...  Or start paying for Service Calls which were no longer going to
be covered under warranty...

For Floppies, Refrigerator Magnets are usually enough to kill disks... You
can buy sheets of the stuff (magnetic signs to go on the door of vehicles)
and lay one out flat and lay floppies across the width of it... every now
and then rotate and flip them over the floppies...

Al