[Dshield] Tapes - Physical destruction methods?

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Tue Aug 1 16:03:30 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 20:38 -0500, Sue Young wrote:
>  Remember to wear goggles or eye protection when you destroy these
> things.  CD's usually break nicely for me but one really shattered in my
> hands a few weeks ago.

Good advice since most do shatter.

And if you don't have goggles around, stick a CD into a magazine or
newspaper, and then bend/fold the magazine/paper. Upon hearing the CD
breaking, shake out the parts into the trash can.

Alternatively, scratch the hell out of the silver layer. Drives can't
read the bits if they have been scratched away :)

For higher classified data, death by fire is advised.

Cheers,
Frank

against your ports.