[Dshield] Tapes - Physical destruction methods?

John Dietz www.whitewolf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 19:36:44 GMT 2006

I still prefer the microwave method for CDs as it gives you a nice little
light show, it also gives you a pretty little "coaster" with nice little
crackly lines all over it (call it CD art if you will), and I've never heard
of or seen this damaging the microwave.  Then again, if you have a bunch of
CDs to destroy, you might want to use an old microwave just in case.  Of
course, it's more practical if you have a shredder capable of handling this
task, but why not have a little fun with the task?  Unless you are just a
pyro. and feel the need to satisfy that urge, I don't suggest burning tapes
or CDs as melting plastic gives off harmful fumes and that molten goo can be
quite messy.  You are better off shredding/crushing the media or otherwise
destroying the data.

Happy destroying,
John

On 8/1/06, Frank Knobbe <frank at knobbe.us> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 20:38 -0500, Sue Young wrote:
> >  Remember to wear goggles or eye protection when you destroy these
> > things.  CD's usually break nicely for me but one really shattered in my
> > hands a few weeks ago.
>
> Good advice since most do shatter.
>
> And if you don't have goggles around, stick a CD into a magazine or
> newspaper, and then bend/fold the magazine/paper. Upon hearing the CD
> breaking, shake out the parts into the trash can.
>
> Alternatively, scratch the hell out of the silver layer. Drives can't
> read the bits if they have been scratched away :)
>
> For higher classified data, death by fire is advised.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank
>
> --
> It is said that the Internet is a public utility. As such, it is best
> compared to a sewer. A big, fat pipe with a bunch of crap sloshing
> against your ports.

> Learn from the founder of DShield how to secure your Internet presence
> with Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
>
> Las Vegas, Oct. 2nd-6th 2006
>
> Details: http://www.sans.org/ns2006/description.php?tid=433
> (Brochure Code: ISC)

There is intelligence is in having all the answers, but wisdom lies in
knowing which of the questions to answer.