[Dshield] Another VA laptop missing.....

John B. Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Tue Aug 8 13:37:37 GMT 2006

Tom,

that is what I advocated after hearing of first instance of data
compromise a few months ago.  But this same obligation (lifetime free
credit monitoring) should apply to businesses in the private sector who
maintain sensitive customer data as well.

Paypal by the way now has a deal with Equifax to provide Paypal
customers with a free service which notifies the user of the service by
email when his/her credit record (at least the one that Equifax
maintains) changes.

This is a win-win because not only does the user get notice whenever
there is a change but Equifax gets the opportunity to "upsell". Below is
an example of the text of the email that is sent:

    Equifax continuously monitors your credit file for two types of
    changes: Inquiries and balance changes. New inquiries are initiated
    by you or someone who wishes to obtain credit under your name. A
    balance change is a dollar amount or percentage change in your
    credit card account balance reported to Equifax.

    Equifax has detected the following change(s) to your credit file:

        * Balance Amount Change

    We recommend viewing the details of the alert(s) to ensure the
    alert(s) are legitimate. To do this, go to www.equifax.com and log
    in to the Member Center.

    Please note: There may have been other key changes to your credit
    report at Equifax and the other two nationwide Credit Reporting
    Agencies that are not included in your current program. If you'd
    like to have comprehensive knowledge of your credit status, simply
    go to www.equifax.com and upgrade to Equifax Credit Watch^(TM) Gold
    with 3-in-1 Monitoring.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International

GSEC Gold, GCWN Gold, GGSC-0100, NSA-IAM, NSA-IEM

(H) 703 620 0672

(M) 703 407 2278

(F)  703 620 5388

(O) 410 849 2376 (has voicemail to email)

primary email address:  jholmblad at aol.com

backup email address:  jholmblad at verizon.net

www page for texting:   www.vtext.com/users/jholmblad

text email address:        jholmblad at vtext.com