[Dshield] Another VA laptop missing.....

Allen Mundt amundt at waukeshacounty.gov
Tue Aug 8 15:57:18 GMT 2006

Schneier posits that until the burden of payments and costs for
remediation of Identity theft transfers to banks and financial
institutions, things will not change much.  I would agree.  In today's
world, sellers can get stuck with some costs, and consumers have to be
really paranoid, until things get straightened out, or until they are
sure that no one has actually used their information.  If credit card
companies or larger financial institutions were held pecuniary liable,
the problems would be fixed in about 6 months.

Allen

Allen Mundt,  Waukesha County Government, I.T. Division, 262.970.4757

"The potential of the average person is like a huge ocean unsailed, a
new continent unexplored, a world of possibilities waiting to be
released and channeled toward some great good."

-- Brian Tracy

>>> "John B. Holmblad" <jholmblad at aol.com> 8/8/2006 8:37 AM >>>
Tom,

that is what I advocated after hearing of first instance of data
compromise a few months ago.  But this same obligation (lifetime free
credit monitoring) should apply to businesses in the private sector who

maintain sensitive customer data as well.

Paypal by the way now has a deal with Equifax to provide Paypal
customers with a free service which notifies the user of the service by

email when his/her credit record (at least the one that Equifax
maintains) changes.

This is a win-win because not only does the user get notice whenever
there is a change but Equifax gets the opportunity to "upsell". Below
is
an example of the text of the email that is sent:

    Equifax continuously monitors your credit file for two types of
    changes: Inquiries and balance changes. New inquiries are
initiated
    by you or someone who wishes to obtain credit under your name. A
    balance change is a dollar amount or percentage change in your
    credit card account balance reported to Equifax.

    Equifax has detected the following change(s) to your credit file:

        * Balance Amount Change

    We recommend viewing the details of the alert(s) to ensure the
    alert(s) are legitimate. To do this, go to www.equifax.com and log
    in to the Member Center.

    Please note: There may have been other key changes to your credit
    report at Equifax and the other two nationwide Credit Reporting
    Agencies that are not included in your current program. If you'd
    like to have comprehensive knowledge of your credit status, simply
    go to www.equifax.com and upgrade to Equifax Credit Watch^(TM)
Gold
    with 3-in-1 Monitoring.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International

GSEC Gold, GCWN Gold, GGSC-0100, NSA-IAM, NSA-IEM

(H) 703 620 0672

(M) 703 407 2278

(F)  703 620 5388

(O) 410 849 2376 (has voicemail to email)

primary email address:  jholmblad at aol.com

backup email address:  jholmblad at verizon.net

www page for texting:   www.vtext.com/users/jholmblad

text email address:        jholmblad at vtext.com

Tom wrote:
> And again... p ersonal data on 38,000 vets....
>
> http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/751936/264676/28949/2/
>
> Will they ever learn?  I think I want free credit monitoring for
life!

> Tom
> Learn from the founder of DShield how to secure your Internet
presence with Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.

send all posts to list at lists.dshield.org