[Dshield] Another VA laptop missing.....

Anonymous Squirrel anonymous.squirrel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 20:34:02 GMT 2006

Maybe securing access to the records is not a good a solution as securing
the use of the credit records; in other words, no credit checks can be run
unless a unique, verified permission is received from the individual for
each credit check.

That solution avoids the specter of criminal penalites for actions where
criminal intent is not present, it avoids the economic cost of trying to
secure like data over a huge number of storage and processing facilities
(and comm lines), and it avoids the inevitable failures in the protective
strategy.  Finally, it avoids the current hysteria which equates the loss of
a laptop with X numbers of individual's SSNs with a fraud against each of
those individual.  The only downside I can see is that life will be harder
for those who want to close deals by pushing credit to those who may not be
able to handle it anyway.  And that isn't so bad.

Cheers.