[Dshield] A few issues at the DShield site.

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Fri Aug 11 08:36:36 GMT 2006

Shane et al.

Thanks for prompt comment.

However, have to disagree (with a possibly hasty assumption).

Motivation: At least for me the automatic re-login failed previously as
a rule.

Now it fails only intermittently, and may even be circumvented by
tricks. (*Please see for details further below*.)

Interpret intermittent (even quite frequent) successful automated logins
as progress, when comparing it to constant unsuccessful automated login
attempts.

Please retry, and see the light.  ;-)

10.8.2006 21:28 (UTC+3), Castle, Shane kirjoitti/wrote:
> Actually it's worse.  Now, after accepting the cookie, the login screen
> won't display in firefox, showing this error:
>
> The page isn't redirecting properly
>
> Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this
> address in a way that will never
> complete.
>
>     *   This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to
> accept
>           cookies.
>
> --
> Shane Castle

Negative. In the contrary,

*Enormous progress witnessed*.  :-)

*Fixing still required*.

Status as per an off-list sent detailed progress reports [as contains
possibly sensitive information (from DShield's viewpoint)].

Hint for all, when experiencing the redirection error and landing at, e.g.

https://secure.dshield.org/myreports.php showing;

"The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this
address in a way that will never
complete.

    *   This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to
         accept cookies [in general or from/for this site specifically].

You may avoid redundant entering of login credentials by doing the
following:

At the error page, just target for URL https://secure.dshield.org/login.php.

Auto-login may succeed, and you will likely be redirected to and land at
URL https://secure.dshield.org/myreports.php, or wherever you were
targeting instead of targeted https://secure.dshield.org/login.php!

(https://secure.dshield.org/myreports.php is an example for a page
requiring authentication, same may apply to other pages requiring
authentication. Specifically targeting the URL
https://secure.dshield.org/login.php is apparently required to do the
trick.)

HTH,

- - Pete

"Everything becomes a little different as soon as it is spoken out loud."
          Hermann Hesse (1877-1962); German-born Swiss writer.