[Dshield] The incredible speed of spam

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Fri Aug 18 15:02:31 GMT 2006

All,

Want good evidence that putting email addresses on web pages is a dumb idea? Well, here it is.

We did the following experiment:
   1) Registered a totally lame domain name.
   2) Set up DNS and mail to recognize it, and to receive email sent to any address in the domain.
   3) Picked an obscure web page and added an email address in a meta tag along the lines of:
	<META NAME="ALL SPAMMERS ARE MORONS" CONTENT="spambait at example.com">

>From the time that we saved the page until it got ripped by MFC_TEAR_SAMPLE from a system in the UK was 28hrs 22mins. One hour and 45 minutes later, we had spam sent to that email address from a system in Korea. So, it only took 30h 7m from the time an email address appeared in a web page until spam was sent to that address.

Your mileage may vary.

Jon Kibler