[Dshield] Idea for dealing with ISPs that ignore abusenotificatons was RE: The Art/Tao/Zen of Abuse e-mails (Was:[Fwd: WHY IS YOURCUSTOMER...])

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Fri Aug 25 21:37:14 GMT 2006

Since we're talking about Non Response from a Responsible Party for an
address range to the world's recognized premier security experts
reporting net-abuse from that CIDR, I think blocking all CIDRs that
share the same RP is in order.

It would be up to you, however. I think it would just be beneficial for
DSHIELD to publish who the Non-responsive RPs are, what IPs and CIDRs
are being reported as abusive, and then it's up to us to decide how to
deal with it as a local policy matter. If you just want to block the Ips
for which no response is received, that's up to you. Personally, I don't
want to receive any connections from networks where the admins don't do
their jobs, so I would look up their NIC handles, and associated CIDRs,
and block the lot of them.

If I could have a list of all the CIDRs with invalid or non-responsive
Abuse aliases, I'd block the lot of them in a heartbeat.

The beauty of the DSHIELD system is that it simply provides INFORMATION,
it's up to you to decide how to implement the policy. In this respect it
is, IMNSHO, superior to many other approaches.