[Dshield] Idea for dealing with ISPs that ignore abusenotificatons was RE: The Art/Tao/Zen of Abuse e-mails (Was:[Fwd: WHY IS YOURCUSTOMER...])

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Aug 28 18:50:56 GMT 2006

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:27:54 PDT, Kenton Smith said:
> Can we all just agree that these legal ramblings are worthless on a mailing
> list of this sort and stop lecturing someone every time they send an email with
> a disclaimer footer? There are many people who have no choice and these footers
> are forced on them by legal departments.

As I said in my original posting:  "Mention this to your legal eagles".  At
least sometimes, the legal eagles are open to persuasion, when you point out
to them that the "reasonable man" interpretation of what they wrote is quite
demonstrably impossible to implement in practice.  Also, I've managed to get
at least some places to nuke the "please delete it" clause, by pointing out
that "just hitting delete" doesn't really delete it, it's still on the disk,
and there's backup tapes and the like, and they *don't* want to end up like
Col. Oliver North, convicted partially on the basis of backup tapes of the
mail system.

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/offdocs/reagan/chron.txt for *that* story.

Remember - most of these legal eagles are writing these disclaimers *without* a
real understanding of the underlying technology, and educating them can go a
long way....