[Dshield] mail server does not like unspecified recipient

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Tue Aug 29 21:51:29 GMT 2006

** Reply to message from "Mark Owen" <mr.markowen at gmail.com> on Tue, 29 Aug
2006 10:29:30 -0400

> Two completely unrelated people sent me e-mails specifying the exact same
> problem within 24 hours of each other.  They both sent out an e-mail, one
> was a shared Outlook object the other a reply, and they both received a
> bounced notification from our ISP's e-mail server specifying an e-mail
> address neither one of them knows about.  This strikes me as fairly abnormal
> and makes me worry about the server's health and integrity.  Is this
> something I should be concerned with?  Please see below for bounced message.

Impossible to tell from the "bounce" messages because you do not know all of
the destination email addresses.  You need to look at the mail logs to see what
happened.  The headers look like the email was TO one email address  and sent
to a different email address, maybe by bcc (the TO and actual sending email
address do not have to agree).

I would guess that if some computer was compromised it would be the user's
machine.

A personal note, I don't think much of the RECEIVED header lines (identifying
the original sender).  I don't know if that is what gmail defaults to or
someone configured it that way.