[Dshield] Blackworm liability with ISPs?

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Thu Feb 2 15:42:25 GMT 2006

Granted universities are not ISPs in the typical sense, but we still
have a large collection of computers for which we don't have direct
control over (i.e. res halls).  I am one of the many people who end up
having to deal with the multitude of viruses and other random junk that
we get from the res halls, and as much as I would like to say we do a
good job in cleaning the halls up, I would never want to be held liable
for the few computers that I missed.  And quite frankly I think the
average American university does a far greater job of protecting their
continuants than the average American ISP.  We will use Dshield reports,
abuse@ emails, IDS logs, firewall logs, and sandtraps to find as many
infected computers as we possibly can, but we will always miss a few.
Also what about spyware?  Minus the "phone-home" feature on some of
them, it is fairly hard to detect them from the network.  I really would
not want someone suing me over some spyware which they got on their
computer from downloading porn.

We tell our users how to be safe and offer help in dealing with problems
that may crop up.  We also try to detect (from the network) as many
infected computers as we can.  But at the end of the day, what the user
chooses to do is something we cannot be held liable for.

Regards,
Adam Stasiniewicz
Computer and Communication Services Department
Milwaukee School of Engineering
MSCE: Messaging & Security 2003