[Dshield] CME-24

Joe Stewart jstewart at lurhq.com
Thu Feb 2 15:52:53 GMT 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 10:00 am, Paul Marsh wrote:
> The numbers seam to be a little twisted.
>
> Thanx, Paul
>

> 	http://www.lurhq.com/blackworm-stats.html
>
> 	http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/#00000800
>
> 	http://www.trendmicro.com/map/

You really can't compare these three graphs - Trend is looking only at
infections detected by customers using their product. F-Secure is only
mapping IPs to lat/long coordinates, but the map says nothing about
overall numbers infected, as some countries may have most of their
Internet access centered around major population hubs, while others are
more spread out. The LURHQ chart is taking an estimate of infections
per country based on the hit counter, but correlating "hits from an IP
address" to actual infection counts is not an exact science. This is a
known problem with web stats in general.

So, don't worry about the numbers too much - it's liable to be off a by
a couple hundred thousand any way you slice it. The bottom line is,
some people are going to feel some pain from this tomorrow, but it
isn't likely to be a problem for most. If you're worried, send me the
netblocks you are responsible for and I'll tell you if there are any
hits to the counter originating from it.

-Joe

--
Joe Stewart, GCIH
Senior Security Researcher