[Dshield] Blackworm liability with ISPs?

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Thu Feb 2 22:33:18 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 07:53 -0500, Johannes B. Ullrich wrote:
> Without any liability like this, an ISP is actually stupid to do
> anything if a user is infected. After all, it will only cost money,
> force them to raise rates, and in the end the customers will leave to
> the cheaper, non-responsible competition. Even if you are "security
> conscious", it is hard to figure out what your ISP is doing behind the
> scenes and difficult to pick a responsible ISP.

But courtesy is not mandated by law. There are things an ISP should to,
but by not doing so, they can not be hold legally liable.

Would the same transcend to Microsoft? They were notified of the issue,
yet they don't deliver a fix before the 3rd. Aren't they liable in the
same sense?

So, what's the course of action I wonder. Sue all those ISPs where the
contact emails bounced due to inaccurate email listings? Can ICANN
revoke their domain or netblock due to false information being listed?
If if they can, will they?

Cheers,
Frank

against your ports.