[Dshield] Blackworm liability with ISPs?

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Thu Feb 2 22:49:54 GMT 2006

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> > Commercial tools already exist to perform such checks. Why not require it?
>
> Do said tools exist for *every* operating system we're likely to encounter?

Granted, they do not check EVERY O/S and application. However, the major ones do Windows, some also do MAC O/S, and at least one does many Linux distros. But let's face it:
   Which O/S accounts for 95% or more of the computers on the Internet?
   What O/S is more likely to be seriously unpatched and/or infected?
   What O/S is used by the majority of the security-ignorant users on the net?
   Windows -- what else?

Thus, if we validate 95% of the computers, and these are the computers most likely to be insecure and compromised, then we have gone a LONG way to solving the problem. Not perfect, but to quote an old boss of mine, "usually, good-enough is perfect."

Jon
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer