[Dshield] Blackworm liability with ISPs?

Anonymous Squirrel anonymous.squirrel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 19:01:56 GMT 2006

On 2/8/06, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 07:58:44 EST, Anonymous Squirrel said:
>
> > 2) A locked-down appliance that can only do taxes and e-mail
> grandma.  Once
> > again, the training covers all they can do to react to the threat
> > environment, and must be completed before purchase.
>
> And what happens next weekm when they want a device that will do taxes,
> e-mail grandma, and be able to attach photos of the grandkids?
>
> Oh, and Johhny wants to play <insert game available on wintel here>....
>
> This was already tried - gotten any mail from a WebTV user lately? ;)
>
> I don't think you picked up on the entire proposal.  It hasn't been
tried.  In a nutshell, the proposal seeks to increase monetary and
non-monetary costs to the user commensurate with the harm that the user
could do to others.  Under the proposal, the costs of a general purpose
system are increased over the applicance system due to the hassle factor of
the user having to learn how to properly protect and use the more capable
and flexible device.

And although I haven't seen WebTV lately, I've been bewildered by neighbors
who say "My computer is safe.  I use AOL!"