[Dshield] Blackworm liability with ISPs?

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 9 16:30:04 GMT 2006

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:34:26 PST, Mark said:

> I vote for enforcing standard business laws (which
> will vary from country to country) to ensure that ISP
> "A", which has a business license (not an Internet
> license) to be held to the same laws that govern other
> service industries. If a business fails to act
> ethically and with good intentions, they should be
> penalized.

At least in the US, there is no legal requirement that a corporation act
ethically and with good intentions.  They're legally required to operate in the
shareholder's interest - a C-level exec can actually find themselves at the
wrong end of a shareholder lawsuit for failing to take a morally slimy action
that generates millions of dollars of revenue.

If the DoJ ever manages to implement *real* change at Microsoft, then maybe
we can discuss this point again.....