[Dshield] Heavy spamming vs DoS?

David Cary Hart DShield at TQMcube.com
Fri Feb 10 16:23:48 GMT 2006

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:38:45 -0500
Chris Phillips <ChrisPhillips at LGonQn.ORG> opined:
> Lately  (since the new year) I've been hit with extremely
> heavy spammer loads. Seems like a different pattern than
> the normal spamming I've been accustomed to before, which
> was basically an attempt to deliver email. (This is a
> small site with virtually no reason to be a target but...).

I see some of those as well. They are zombies in dynamic space. Major
increase from Charter lately. I assume that you are rejecting all of
these as dynamic. A 55x consumes very few cycles and
very little bandwidth.

The pattern I see from most of these is multiple streams attempting
to deliver to 46 spam traps which suggests a common mailing list.

We have a database on line which will allow you to see if these are
exploits also seen here ( http://tqmcube.com/spamquery.php ) which may
be of some help - or not.
--
Our DNSRBL -